About Me

My photo
I'm Kate, I'm 20, and I'm a little addicted to anything beauty related!

Thursday 21 March 2013

Revlon Fire and Ice Lipstick

I heard of this when Lisa Eldridge did a video on red lipstick.  She said it is a loud, neon, bright, 'in your face' red. This is something which is totally out of my comfort zone and not something I would have expected myself to like so much!

I don't know exactly why I bought it...but I'm super happy that I did. It is meant to have both warm, orange, fiery undertones and cool, blue icy undertones and thus meant to suit a wide variety of skin tones - hence the name, Fire and Ice. It's been around since 1952, and it's an iconic, glamorous red. I have seen some tubes of this in vintage packaging flying around online and I am absolutely desperate to get my hands on a tube! It looks so retro and glamorous. This is the first red lipstick that I have put on where I actually feel like a grown up, and not just a young pre teen trying on my Mum's make up whilst she's downstairs. (This was a favourite past-time).

I think this is my new favourite. Perfect for spring...if it decides to put in an appearance, that is.
My skin looks best when it has very little coverage on as my skin it freckled and quite translucent, and coverage looks unnatural and obvious on me. I am a little tanned in this picture (hard to believe right?), and I think having a little extra glow and colour makes this red a little easier to wear. I have enjoyed wearing this with Origins VitaZing all over the face for some glow, Chanel Bronzing Base (Soleil de tan de Chanel) used where the sun would catch me for even more glow, Revlon Photoready cream blush in Coral Reef to help bring out the coral tones in the lipstick, as that is the colour it leans towards being on me, and lashings L'Oreal Beauty Tubes Mascara piled on. I also use the Collection Lasting Perfection concealer to pinpoint conceal my blemishes, as like I said, coverage can look really unnatural on me. Under my eyes I used the Lacura Light Reflecting concealer - this stuff rocks. Totally luxury, heavy, silver, glossy packaging that gives a satisfying click shut, very reminiscent of Burberry packaging, that feels way more expensive than it is. It feels very light and is reflective so good at detracting from blue under eye circles but doesn't have super coverage - but it never claims to! Since my eyebrows are very blonde and practically non existent, I also run Mudhoney eyeshadow from the Soap and Glory What's Nude Eyeshadow Quad palette through them for some subtle definition. I love it because it's a really ashy grey brown and not at all warm so I won't get orange brows - score. The formula of the lipstick is very creamy, moisturising and lovely to apply. I always slick on a lip moisturiser or balm that soaks in (as opposed to Vaseline or something which will create a barrier on your lips) when I start to do my make up so it has time to sink in, then I wipe off the rest that hasn't sunk in before I apply. This makes sure I don't have and dry patches for it to cling to, or rather it lessens the risk of that happening. I apply this with a lip brush to perfect the shape of my lips and work up a bit of a stain then tap on directly from the bullet and pat my lips together to amp up the colour intensity. If you want a powerful colour but not a shiny finish, try patting the lipstick to remove the sheen and this will have a slight mattifying effect. I have pink, cool undertones in my skin and a lot of redness in my cheeks. In person on me, this looks quite coral. An orangey, pinky, red. However it seems to photograph quite like a true red. I went a bit snap happy to try and show you the wide variety of shades it can look like. 

I like to wear this with a really casual outfit, it looks very confounding, throw away,  and effortless yet put together. Lisa mentions in her video how sexy a red lip looks when paired with a casual outfit. The epitome of glamour, confidence and sexy. Make up is a huge passion of mine, and I feel like a different person when I wear this. Everything about me just seems a little perked up and more cheerful. I love that something so simple can have such a substantial effect on the way I feel and behave. That is part of what I love about make up!

In these pictures I have a bit of an orange tint around my my cheeks/nose area, especially in the second picture - I have no idea what this is. I hope I didn't walk around with it all day, but I didn't notice it on myself at all. Who knows - I guess it is one of life's little mysteries.



This picture below is showing more accurately how it looks in person on me.

This last picture is taken after about 4 hours wear after I had drank and eaten. Stuck around pretty well but could do with a touch up in the centre, so would be a good idea to take it with you if you're going out.
The colour looks pretty accurate in this picture as well.



1 comment:

  1. i actually find the slight warm coral glow on your cheeks cute, I thought it was blush or a light bronzer. Coral blush is cute with fire and ice it makes us pale girls look a bit summery and warm. love fire and ice on you, it is such an unusual colour, it is different on everyone. on me it is practically fluro as lisa says but i like that. i also like it blotted down for a stain sometimes too, when it is sheer it can seem even brighter somehow. you should try nars heatwave too as you remind me a bit of the model in this. the nars one seems similar but a bit less pink. http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/do-or-dont-orange-red-lipstick.html

    ReplyDelete