About Me

My photo
I'm Kate, I'm 20, and I'm a little addicted to anything beauty related!

Tuesday 21 August 2012

First thoughts on O.P.I Nail Envy and Avoplex Cuticle Oil!

So firstly, a little bit of a background on my nails! I actually have really strong, hard, and thick nails. You're probably thinking "so stop bragging about it", and "so why do you need it?" but I do have reason for purchasing this duo. (Honest!) (To skip ahead to what I actually think about the products, read underneath the pictures!)

About 2 months ago, I completely ruined my natural nails with fake nails, the ones you stick on with nail glue. I painted a set myself using a watercolour effect (tutorial linked here) and I was really impressed with how gorgeous they looked, so against all my instincts...I glued them on. After spending all day catching them on everything I touched they really began to stress me out - so much so that I ended up having strop about something that was so relevant, dramatic and distressing at the time that I can't even bring to my mind what it was about - I pulled the nails off in a rage, which left my nails screwed. in an unpleasant condition to say the least. Self inflicted, I know.

I'd pretty much fractured the nail, you could see all these lines across the whole of the nail where it had shattered underneath from the pressure from pulling at the nails to get them off. My natural nails were still covered in glue and were actually very sore from the nails pulling at the skin underneath my nail. I soaked in acetone to remove the stubborn nail glue, which wasn't successful, and if anything it worsened the situation and made my nails weaker. Oops. So I filed them right down using my Leighton Denny glass nail file (love, love, love!) Until all the "fractures" had grown out, which as they did would peel a layer off the tips of my nails :(! And as the last fractures grew out I had hoped the peeling would stop, but it hasn't. This might have something to so with the fact that I am working as a hotel cleaner during the summer whilst I'm at university, so this probably hasn't helped the situation, but I thought now was a better time than any to try out O.P.I Nail Envy!


I have heard a lot of good things about Nail Envy as a treatment, mainly from Vivianna from ViviannaDoesMakeup. I bought a mini bottle for one of my friends as part of a birthday present and ever since I've been itching to buy it for myself. I managed to find this duo for £18.50 from the Chemists in a town near where I live. I thought it was a pretty good deal as you're basically getting the Cuticle Oil for free.


So here are the two full sized, 15 ml products. The pictures below are taken with 2 coats of the Nail Envy on the first day of application. Prep wise I filed the tips of my nails and used a buffer to remove the majority of ridges and to smooth the nail, I'm always cautious with these as I don't want to make my nails too thin! (It also defeats the object of achieving thicker stronger nails, by filing them thinner!) Afterwards I applied the cuticle oil, and it smells absolutely delicious! This will be sitting on my bedside for night time hand fuss! :) I have a feeling the oil will also be fab for helping freshly painted nails stay smudge free - but I will let you all know on that front after some investigating!


On first thoughts- I think the combination of cuticle oil and the varnish have left my fingers in amazing condition. As I'm sat looking at them - my nails look pink and healthy, and I as I only applied the cuticle oil to one hand I can really compare them to see the difference it has made, and I can really see the oil is still working, despite being applied about 5 hours ago! There is no hard skin around the sides on my that nails catches on clothing/material and as a result my nails look instantly healthier.


I will continue to apply and see what a difference it makes. Expect a review coming soon - but I am expecting great things from these products!


No comments:

Post a Comment